There are many reasons for purchasing a doorbell video camera. The following reviews will outline what are considered the best doorbell cameras on the market.
Take the guess work out of which system to purchase and give yourself the peace of mind and extra security.
Popularity of Doorbell Video Cameras
While these cameras have been around since 2014 they have sky rocketed in popularity in the past few years.
As simple as connecting your home security system through an app on your smartphone allows the user to check in at any time of the day.
24/7 monitoring, recording and user notifications are all offered by these security providers.
The price of a video doorbell camera compared with outdoor surveillance cameras is significantly less as well as much more discreet.
Best Doorbell Camera Reviews
Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell in Satin Nickel
- See, hear and speak to anyone at your door from your smartphone, tablet or PC.
- Get instant alerts when visitors press your Doorbell or trigger the built-in motion sensors.
- Watch over your home in crystal-clear HD video.
- Protect your home - day or night - with infrared night vision.
- Communicate with visitors via two-way audio with noise cancellation.
The number 1 selection for the best doorbell video camera. The Ring Video Doorbell is the most popular camera on the market at the moment.
The company was initially Doorbot. They re-branded to Ring after a $28 million dollar investment from Richard Branson.
Ring video doorbell pros and cons:
- Very easy to install- within minutes
- Lifetime guarantee
- Motion detection if someone is within range of the doorbell
- Customizable motion detection zones
- Two way microphone
- Wide angle HD camera
- Night vision
- Easy app to use
- Weather resistant
- Easy installation
- Rechargeable battery
- Extra indoor siren available
- Fantastic customer service
- Available in venetian bronze, satin nickel, polished brass, antique brass
- Motion detector can set off easily.
Definitely the most popular doorbell video camera for a reason. This product was the initial doorbell video camera on the market and has Richard Branson as an investor.
Although it doesn’t have the same functionality as a full home alarm set up, as far as door bell video cameras go this is the better product on the market. See anyone who comes to your door at anytime of the day.
Easy to install and great functionality, this product is well worth the price. With tens of thousands of positive Amazon customer reviews and a life time warranty the Ring Video Doorbell camera won’t disappoint.
SkyBell HD Bronze WiFi Video Doorbell
- High-definition 1080P video with 5x zoom. Color night vision - full color in the dark
- Before you begin the installation process, please consider these steps to ensure your home is ready to work with your SkyBell - Doorbell Chime Check, Wi-Fi Connection Speed Test, Power Check (Transformer), Router Check
- Two-way talk - speak with visitor using your smartphone
- On-demand viewing - it's 'always on' so you can view anytime
- Motion sensor - detect visitors even if they don't use the doorbell
A stylish and sleek design, the Skybell HD Doorbell provides a live video notification to your phone whenever someone presses the Skybell button.
You have the ability to talk to the visitor through the door bell. Another positive feature is that the small white bubble is a motion sensor. This means you’ll be notified anytime someone is close to your door even if they don’t push the Skybell button.
While there are more positive reviews than negative there are a few reoccurring customer complaints.
There are a few complaints of poor customer support while others have faced technical difficulties while installing and setting up the system.
Skybell video doorbell pros and cons:
- 1080p HD video camera
- Night Vision in color
- Can talk to the visitor through the app on your phone/tablet
- Alerted even if the button isn’t pushed due to the motion sensor
- Easy to use app for smartphones & tablets
- Made in the USA
- Available in bronze and silver
- Cannot save recorded footage
- Can be difficult to install. It is a hardwire installation
- Branded doorbell button makes it less discreet
The main negative review is the lack of professional installation help. If you are not technically minded or don’t want to try then consider a different product.
However, after installation the Skybell HD Doorbell is reliable and performs well.
Zmodo Greet - Smart WiFi Video Doorbell
- Answer the door wherever you are - see and speak to visitors directly from your smartphone
- Easy setup - use existing wiring for quick installation and connect to WiFi using the free app
- Smart motion detection - receive an alert and a recorded video clip whenever motion is detected
- Personalized voice message - a recorded message will play when you can't answer the door
- On demand access - access live video at any time from your smartphone or the web
If you are looking for a basic doorbell video camera that functions well then the Zmodo Greet is a great choice. Although there are quite a few negative reviews this product still makes our top 4 list for a few reasons.
The Zmodo Greet Package includes a Greet WiFi doorbell and a Beam WiFi extender.
Relatively easy to set up using wifi through the Zmodo app, from there everything is controllable through your smartphone.
With motion detection you will receive an alert to your device and have the ability to speak with the visitors. If you are unable to answer the door you can play an automated message.
Zmodo Greet video doorbell pros and cons:
- 24/7 continuous recording
- Answer the door and speak to the visitor through the smartphone app
- Includes a Greet WiFi doorbell and a Beam WiFi extender
- Motion detector
- 720p HD live video
- Night vision – infrared lights
- Cheapest doorbell video camera on our list
- Not the best customer support
- Difficulties during installation
- Software update issues causing the app to crash
Overall if you are looking for a cheap doorbell video camera for basic surveillance without the price tag then the Zmodo Greet is a great option.
Ring Video Doorbell Pro
- See, hear and speak to anyone at your door from your smartphone, tablet or PC.
- Watch over your home in crystal-clear 1080p HD video.
- Protect your home-day or night-with infrared night vision.
- Live View enabled: Check-in on your property at any time with video on demand.
- Lifetime purchase protection: If your doorbell gets stolen, we'll replace it, for free!
Another great product by the team at Ring. The Ring Video Doorbell Pro is the next step up from our #1 selection. If you have the extra budget to spend then this is a great set up.
Works with IOS and android devices through wifi connectivity- either through your mobile device or home wireless network.
Motion detection which is automatically recorded and the user notified.
Night vision, infrareds allowing for clear footage even if the lighting is low. 2 way audio allowing you to speak with the guests and vice versa.
Ring Video Doorbell Pro pros and cons:
- Wired to an existing doorbell – no batteries required.
- Lifetime purchase protection
- Night vision
- Video on demand – check in whenever you like
- 2 way audio
- Live video view is not that great
- Audio volume can be quiet
Overall if you already have the Ring product then upgrading will not boast that many more features. If this is your first video doorbell camera then the Ring Video Doorbell Pro is a great choice.
August Doorbell Camera - Dark Gray
- See and speak with visitors at your door with your smartphone.Connects to your existing analog wired doorbell and uses existing house current (16-24v).
- Secure your home. Always know who is at the front door with live HD video.
- Stay Aware. With motion detection, get instant alerts when there's activity at your doorstep.
- Speak with visitors even when you are not home.
- Replay video of missed visitors with optional cloud recording.
The August doorbell alerts the user via smartphone as well as in house sound. You also have the ability to communicate through the app on your phone to the doorbell speaker.
Featuring a HD camera the doorbell will provide a clear image as well as video recording. In addition the doorbell has motion sensing abilities.
This camera can replace your current ‘normal’ doorbell through the exisiting analog wiring.
- Very slow to update
- More installation steps than other systems
Overall the August doorbell is a simple, easy to use doorbell that does the job effectively.
Additional Security Tips
While that covers the best doorbell camera reviews there are other ways of increasing the safety at the front of your home.
Declutter Outdoor Areas
This may not be the first thing that springs to mind but a clutter free patio area is less inviting to criminals.
Not only is it easier for your home security system to notice if things are astray, the neighbours will also be able to notice if packages go missing too.
Place a ‘Protected by’ alarm sign on the gate/entranceway
Something as simple as a security sign is quite a strong deterrent for burglars thinking of entering the property.
Many security companies go out of business and many Americans have signs from no-longer operating businesses. Be sure that you stickers or signs are up to date.
Inform the Mailman/Delivery Companies
Be sure to inform your mailman that you are installing a video doorbell camera system. That way the mailman will be aware that you can talk to them through the audio and provide instructions for where to leave packages.
Not only does this provide extra peace of mind it also provides video footage of it and will also capture anyone who does steal it.
If you are done with having packages stolen from your doorstep or just want a bit of added security around your home, then a video doorbell camera is a great buy. If you have an unwanted visitor or salesman, then you can avoid the situation.
While we do recommend a full home security system a doorbell video camera is a great start and extra piece of equipment. We hope you found the best doorbell camera reviews helpful. Our favourite is the Ring Video doorbell with Motion detection & HD Camera. Have you used any of the above doorbell cameras? Leave a comment about your experiences and thoughts.