There are many different choices when it comes to home and office security surveillance systems. All systems come with their own advantages and disadvantages so finding the best security system for your needs is key.
The basic idea is for security cameras to capture both static and moving images and videos in the area they are positioned. Z-wave cameras are another type of security system that use multiple features to enhance your surveillance system.
Using Z-wave technology these security cameras have many features include sensors and movement monitoring systems. The following article highlights the 5 best z-wave security cameras on the market.
What is a Z-wave Security Camera?
Z-wave cameras use Z-wave technology which allows you to view the video footage remotely via a high speed wireless network.
Z-wave technology is relatively new in home security systems but offers great security for your home or office.
If you are away in the case of an event, the security cameras can be used to check the footage as ordered by the camera system.
How does Z-Wave Work?
While it can be a bit confusing initially, Z-Wave technology has a lot of interesting features. If you want an in depth explanation of Z-Wave technology then be sure to book in with a professional service to get the full run down.
Installing a complete Z-Wave security system is quite difficult so we highly recommend having a security company or professional install it for you.
In short, Z-wave technology is a low energy system that allows communication between devices around the home or office via remote control.
Using a simple and reliable low-power radio the waves can travel without interference throughout the home. This technology will not interfere with any other wireless devices you use around the home or office as it works at a frequency around 900MHz.
Z-Wave control can be used with almost all electronic appliances. Even things you wouldn’t necessarily consider smart or ‘intelligent’ including light shades, thermostats etc. Signals are exchanged and different functions can be performed.
As you can appreciate the installation of a Z Wave system is quite difficult. Once the initial set up is complete, adding appliances is very simple.
Z-Wave products plug in immediately and if you want to add a non-Z-Wave device an accessory module can be used. Within seconds the device will be a part of the wireless communication system.
5 Best Z-Wave Security Cameras
To make your decision easier we have compiled the 5 best z-wave security cameras currently available.
Like all of our reviews be sure to thoroughly check that the security system meets all your home or office security requirements.
Piper nv Smart Home Security System
- AC Power - Only the power adapter provided with Piper should be used with the equipment. Input: 100-240 V AC, 50Hz, maximum input current 0.3A. Output: 5VDC, maximum output current 2A (current limited). Output connector: Tip (inner part) positive, barrel (outer part) negative.
- Smart home security system with no contracts or monthly fees required. High resolution 180-degree immersive view camera with night vision, for live and recorded video
- Motion/sound detection, temperature/light/humidity sensors, 2-way audio and 105 dB siren
- Simple setup and easy to use, get text/email alerts and check in from your smartphone or tablet (iOS and Android)
- Connects via Wi-Fi, battery backup, high grade SSL video encryption, compatible with Z-Wave wireless accessories; auto-rearms to capture multiple events and pet adjustable motion detection
The Piper NV Smart Home Security system has many great features.
With night vision and a 180 degree video camera this is a very smart home security camera.
Featuring a built in Z-wave controller the user has the ability remotely control the system with compatible devices.
Simple to use and install via a smartphone app. Plug the Piper NV and run the setup by connecting to wifi.
No month or yearly fees are required with this home security system.
- No contracts nor monthly/annual fees required.
- High resolution 180 degree view camera
- Night vision
- Live and recorded video
- Motion and sound detection
- Temperature/light and humidity sensor
- Two way audio
- 105dB Siren
- Ability to set up text/email alerts and check in from your smartphone
- Smartphone (iOS and Android) + tablet compatability
- Wi-Fi connection
- SSL video encryption
- Back up battery
There is also the ability to purchase more Z Wave compatible accessories. Through which you can automate, schedule and remotely control lights and appliances.
A great additional safety feature if you are away. With no lock in contracts or on going fees the Piper NV Smart Home Security system is a great buy.
Nexia Home Outdoor Camera
- The Home Outdoor Camera allows you to remotely monitor your home, allowing you to stay in touch and in control (Requires a Nexia Subscriber Account)
- Keep an eye on your front porch, backyard or patio when you're away.
- Set up cameras in key spots in your home and view live video anytime from most web-accessible computers, tablets or smart phones.
- Set scenes to record and store video and watch it later at your convenience
- Utilizes infrared technology for night vision
The Schlage Nexia Home Outdoor Camera is an outdoor z-wave security camera. It is a great tool for monitoring the outdoor areas of your home.
Not only limited to outdoor use, you can place the monitor in any room within your house. Use it to watch over your toddler or children.
If you would like to use all of the features of the security system there is a monthly subscription fee of $9.99.
The Nexia Home Outdoor camera comes with a free one month subscription trial. After that you can make the choice of whether the extra features are worth $9.99 a month or not.
With a 1 year warranty Limited Mechanical and Electronics Warranty this offers the buyer peace of mind.
- Monitor your outdoor area while away
- Live video from anytime via web accessible computers, tablets and smartphones
- Set scenes to record to playback later
- Store video recordings
- Infrared night vision technology
- 1 year warranty
- Control the camera remotely (Requires a Nexia Subscriber Account)
Through the use of the Schlage Nexia Home Outdoor Camera is a great outdoor surveillance option.
The user fee for access to extra features is $9.99 a month which may turn a few people away from this purchase.
Schlage WCW100 Home Indoor Camera
2 used from $ 53.49
- Requires Active Nexia Home Subscriber Account.
- For use with an active Nexia Home Intelligence Subscription ($9.99 monthly fee) - Pay as you go.
- Uses wired or wireless ethernet connection to customer provided internet router.
- Includes Schlage Nexia proprietary wireless indoor color camera, mounting bracket, power adapter, and ether-net cable.
The Schlage WCW100 Home Indoor Camera with Nexia Home Intelligence is a very lightweight Z-wave camera.
Easy to mount in any location around the home a 4 x 4.3x 5.1 inch camera will record and playback video.
The security system requires an active Nexia Home Subscriber Account which is a $9.99 monthly fee. Camera comes with a 1 year limited warranty.
Very easy to use. Install the app on your smartphone or tablet and remotely monitor the activities within your home.
- Ability to use it wired or via a wireless connection to the customer provided internet router
- Color camera
- High resolution video – 640 x 480 at 30 frames per second
- Ability to lower the resolution if desired
- Motion detection sensor
- 1 year limited warranty
The Schlage WCW100 Home Indoor Camera is a very basic indoor camera that will monitor your indoor space adequately.
The downside to this security system is that the camera doesn’t have infrared technology. This means it cannot record in low light nor night time.
Iris RC-8221 Security Video Camera
4 used from $ 99.99
- Wireless Security Camera to be used with the Iris system or with any Z wave based
- wireless System
Another Z – Wave compatible security camera, the Iris RC-8221 Wireless Digital HD 720p IP Security Video Camera.
This is a Z-Wave compatible wireless security camera that captures High Definition videos.
The videos can be viewed remotely via a computer, smartphone or tablet.
Ability to mount the camera to different locations – wall mount, ceiling mount.
- Easy to install and use
- High definition 720p recording
- Motion triggered
- Infrared night vision technology
- Automatic recording when alarms are triggered
- Remotely monitored from smart phone, tablet or computer
The Iris RC-8221 Wireless Digital HD 720p IP Security Video Camera presents great value.
There are a few features that this system lacks such as no audio recording capabilities.
Fortrezz SSA-01 Siren / Strobe Z-Wave Alarm
- BEFORE YOU BUY: Check to make sure your home automation controller / security panel is interoperable with our device. NOT ALL Z-wave Controllers are compatible. Please visit our website, ask your controller manufacturer, or call us with questions.
- Requires Z-wave Gateway for control (purchased separately)
- Indoor Use Only - 110 dB Sounder, Super Bright LED's
- Backup 9V battery included w/ tamper resistance. Siren will sound if power wire is interrupted.
- 3 modes to choose from: Siren ONLY, Strobe ONLY, and Strobe & Siren
The Fortrezz SSA-01 Siren / Strobe Z-Wave Alarm Module Clear Lens is a great security system for the home or office. A light and alarm can be activated through the security system.
The camera can be accessed via a smartphone. The footage can be recorded for later playback as well.
This camera is for indoor use only and is more of a sensor than a security system.
- Not all Z-Wave controllers are compatible with the Fortrezz Siren.
- Requires Z-Wave gateway to control (purchased separately)
- 110dB sounder
- Bright LED lights
- Backup 9V battery
- Siren sounds if power wire is interrupted
- 3 modes – Siren Only, Strobe only, Strobe & Siren
The Fortrezz SSA-01 Siren / Strobe Z-Wave Alarm Module Clear Lens is an incredibly basic home alarm system so if you want something with more capabilities and features then this won’t be for you.
Different types of security cameras
Many security cameras are great at doing one thing over another. If you are looking for monitoring alone then there are many cameras and there are others which send out alerts.
As mentioned previously the security system you choose needs to match your security needs.
Z-Wave cameras present a lot of security features and are a great choice.
Common Categories of Security Cameras
1. Basic Security Camera
Single mount, fixed cameras that cannot be moved.
2. Internet Protocol (IP) Camera
Data from the cameras is sent via the internet or computer, this type is also know as surveillance cameras.
3. Movable Camera – Pan, Tilt and Zoom
If you like the idea of checking on your property or business remotely then having a camera with these abilities is a great choice.
With the option of panning, tilting, spinning, rotating and zooming in you can feel as though you are right there from a far.
There is also the option to change the angle of a camera too. Another great feature. We recommend the Piper NV Smart Home Security System.
4. Motion Detection Cameras
Security systems that offer motion detection automatically start to record or take images if any type of movement is detected.
In this sense, a Z-Wave camera is fantastic as it will only record if something moves across the area.
As a motion detection camera the Schlage WCW100 Home Indoor Camera with Nexia Home Intelligence is good.
5. Infrared or Night Vision Cameras
While the majority of break ins happen during the day many people invest in a security system for additional safety at night.
If you are wanting a camera for outdoor surveillance then infrared technology is a must. Without it your camera will catch a black space and nothing more.
Infrared technology can record very clear videos in low light or dark situations.
The Piper NV Smart Home Security System is a great security system for night monitoring.
6. Outdoor Cameras
For monitoring an outdoor area a security camera specifically designed for this is a must. Things to look for would be that it is weather-proof and has light vision.
The Schalge Nexia Home Outdoor Camera is quite good. When looking at purchasing an outdoor camera consider the following.
For outdoor areas, durability is a pretty crucial factor for a Z-Wave security camera.
Weather friendly is essential if you wish to monitor outdoors away from the house or an area without an under cover section.
Z-Wave security systems are the latest technological advancement and are a great way to integrate all appliances within your home or office. Technology is ever evolving so keeping your home or office up to date with the latest security system is important. We hope this article helped with making your decision for the best Z-wave Compatible Home Security Cameras.